A classic question that many women face is what size pantyhose should I wear? Pantyhose sizing can be confusing, as there are no standards for sizing.
In fact, some brands only offer up to a certain waist size while others go up to a larger waistline and thigh height. If you want the right fit, it’s best to try on different sizes in-store before purchasing them online or at a department store.
Table of Contents
What size pantyhose should I wear?
The answer is: There are so many variables, such as height, weight, body type, and build that it’s next to impossible to give one answer for everyone. However, there are some guidelines that you can follow when choosing what pantyhose size will work best.
Wear pantyhose size XS if you are between 4’10” – 5’5″ and weighing 85 lbs – 130 lbs
Wear pantyhose size S or A if you are between 4’11” – 5’9″ and weighing 100 lbs – 150 lbs
Wear pantyhose size M or B if you are between 5’3″ – 6’0″ and weighing 120 lbs – 170 lbs
Wear pantyhose size L or C if you are between 5’2″ – 6’0″ and weighing 145 lbs – 210 lbs
Wear pantyhose size XL or D if you are between 5’2″ – 6’0″ and weighing 185 lbs – 260 lbs
Wear pantyhose size XXL or E if you are between 5’2″ – 6’0″ and weighing 235 lbs – 300 lbs
You want your pantyhose to fit snugly, but evenly. You don’t want it to be too tight in one area (like the waist) and too loose in another area (the toes).
If your stockings are the right size you’ll be able to pinch just a little bit of fabric at the top and bottom of the hosiery. Not enough to be taking in by hand and altering, but just enough that when you stand up or sit down the hose stays put.
We found out that the best success is with size small pantyhose if wearing boots that hit right above the ankle. If you try to wear thicker socks, or if the boots are a little taller, you’ll do better with the medium. This depends on the weight and the way your body is built.
However, for regular shoes, we recommend wearing a size large in pantyhose (and almost everything else). For example, if you are 6’1″ and weigh about 200 lbs, the size large pantyhose work best for me because they fit smoothly over the hips without any puddling or bunching of the material.
Just remember if you are going to wear boots that hit at or above your ankle you’ll want to stick with a lengthwise seam stocking. If the boots are hitting below your ankle you can get away with wearing a fishnet or tricot (crosswise seam) hosiery.
How to choose the right size pantyhose?
Choose a size that fits you: The most important thing to do when choosing the right pantyhose is to know your exact measurements. Pantyhose in the stores are grouped into four different sizes but it can be confusing because each brand labels their sizing differently. Look at the label description on the back of the package to see the specific size chart.
To find your perfect fit, you will need to measure both your hips and waist:
Hips Measure around the fullest part of your hips in inches. This measurement is usually 6-8″ larger than your actual waist measurement.
Waist Pantyhose are designed to be tight-fitting, so you should take your actual waist measurement. The smallest part of the waist is usually at or above belly button level. Once you’ve found this point, measure around it in inches to get your accurate size.
If you’re in between sizes, choose the larger size as pantyhose are designed to be tight-fitting. You can always wear them with a belt and your waist will look slimmer than usual.
Do stockings have different sizes too?
Most brands also categorize their stockings into four different sizes as well, but this is not the case for all brands.
The inner thigh measurement is just as important as your hip and waist measurements when it comes to getting a good fit, but some brands use this information differently than others.
If you’re unsure about which size to choose, talk with an associate at the store where you purchased them or contact customer service for help in finding the right size.
Do pantyhose have stretch?
Pantyhose have some elasticity but not a lot. If more stretch is needed, consider wearing a garter belt or the hose with jeans or pants that have a bit of giving to them. When sitting down, pull your thighs together for extra support.
Different types of pantyhose and their pros and cons
Well, there are several types of pantyhose. Each type is designed for a different purpose. We will list the most common types:
1. Stockings – it is a nylon or fishnet hose with an elastic band at the top to help you put them on easily and remove them quickly, without having to roll them down your legs.
2. Opaque stockings (leggings) – this type of pantyhose is very popular in Europe among the girls who wear skirts or dresses even during wintertime. In other words, it is a type of tights that can be worn outside trousers almost like real flesh-colored stockings.
3. Patterned stockings – this type of pantyhose is designed to give you that beautiful and charming-looking ankle.
4. Fishnet stockings – a very popular type of party pantyhose. As the name suggests, it has a fishnet pattern with usually black color for the top and light color for the bottom (we recommend you to wear light color tights with dark skirts and vice versa).
5. Nude (sheer) stockings – this name says it all – you can wear them only with black or white tights (and they look great if you are wearing a bandage dress).
Common mistakes when wearing pantyhose
When worn the wrong way it will make you look older and overweight. To avoid such a situation, here is a list of some of the common mistakes made by women when wearing pantyhose.
Here are the common mistakes that should be avoided.
1. Avoid wearing light or sheer stockings if your legs are dark and thick.
2. Do not wear pantyhose of a lighter shade than your skin tone.
3. When buying suspenders, make sure that the clips are attached properly to the hosiery so as not to create unsightly gaps between the top of your pants and stockings.
4. Avoid very heavy or extremely sheer nylons.
5. When wearing stockings, do not wear a skirt of very light color, as it will give you an overall washed-out appearance.
6. Do not buy pantyhose that are too tight or excessively large for your legs.
7. Be aware of the length of your leg when buying nylons
8. Avoid very thin, tight, and transparent pantyhose.
9. When buying stockings avoid tops that are too narrow or sheer.
These are some recommendations that play an important factor in deciding what type of pantyhose should be worn on a certain occasion according to your age and personal appeal.
Sometimes choosing the right pantyhose size can be overwhelming. The best way to find out what your perfect fit is is by trying on as many pairs of different sizes and styles until you find one that fits comfortably.
It’s important for your pantyhose to have a smooth surface area so it doesn’t snag or roll-up while wearing them. If you’re shopping online, make sure to try the product in multiple colors if possible because sometimes they may not look like how they do in pictures when worn!
Can You Wear Pantyhose with Open-Toe Shoes?
What Color Pantyhose to Wear with Navy Dress?
Is It Unprofessional To Not Wear Pantyhose?
What’s the Difference Between Pantyhose, Leggings, Tights & Stockings?