Table of Contents
- What Are Overalls?
- Why Overalls Are Popular?
- Importance of Styling Overalls
- Finding the Perfect Overalls
- Consider Your Body Type
- Accessorizing the Overalls
- Styling Tips for Overalls
- Choosing the Right Undergarments When Wearing Overalls
- Occasion-specific Overall Styles
- Overalls for Different Body Types
- Final Thoughts When Styling Overalls
- Final Tips on How to Style Overalls
- Related Articles About Overalls
What Are Overalls?
Overall is a type of clothing that has long been popular for workwear. It’s a one-piece garment that covers the body from the waist to the ankles, and it typically has straps over the shoulders and back. The construction and design of overalls vary depending on the purpose for which they are made. For example, in the past, people would wear overalls as an outer layer in cold weather or during activities like farming or hunting. Today, overalls are often worn for work such as construction or farming but can be worn casually as well.
Why Overalls Are Popular?
Overalls are popular for several reasons. First, they are comfortable and easy to wear, making them a practical choice for a range of activities. They are also versatile, as they can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Additionally, overalls have a nostalgic appeal, as they were popular fashion items in the 90s and early 2000s. They have since made a comeback in recent years, with many designers and retailers offering their own versions of the classic piece. Overall, the enduring popularity of overalls can be attributed to their combination of comfort, versatility, and nostalgia.
Importance of Styling Overalls
Styling overalls is important because it allows individuals to personalize and elevate their looks. While overalls are typically associated with a casual and laid-back style, by incorporating different accessories, footwear, and layering pieces, they can be transformed into a chic and fashionable outfit. Styling overalls can also help create a cohesive and put-together look, as opposed to simply throwing on a pair of overalls without much thought. Additionally, by experimenting with different styling options, individuals can find a style that best suits their body type, personal taste, and occasion. Ultimately, styling overalls is an opportunity for self-expression and creativity in fashion.
Finding the Perfect Overalls
Determine the Occasion for Wearing Overalls
Choosing the perfect overalls for any occasion can be achieved by considering a few key factors. For a casual daytime look, opt for a relaxed fit and lighter fabric in classic denim or corduroy. For a dressier occasion, consider a sleeker silhouette in a darker shade, with a fitted waist and tapered legs. Accessorize with heels and statement jewelry to elevate the look. For a work or business casual setting, choose overalls in a more structured fabric, such as cotton or twill, and pair them with a blouse or collared shirt underneath. Additionally, take into account the dress code of the occasion and choose overalls that fit appropriately and complement the overall aesthetic of the event.
Identify the Right Fit of the Overalls
Choosing the perfect fit for your overalls is essential for both comfort and style. Start by taking accurate measurements of your body, including your bust, waist, hips, and inseam. When trying on overalls, pay attention to the fit in the waist and hips, as this will affect the overall silhouette. Look for overalls that fit snugly but not too tightly, allowing for movement and layering. Consider the length of the straps, ensuring they can be adjusted to fit your torso comfortably. The leg length should also be considered, with options ranging from cropped to full-length. Ultimately, the perfect fit will depend on your body type, personal style, and occasion, so don’t be afraid to try on a few different options to find the best fit for you.
Choose the Right Fabric for the Overalls
First, figure out what type of activity you’ll be doing in your new overalls. If you’re going to be working around the house or in the garden, then we recommend a relaxed fit. If you’re planning on doing some serious yard work or building projects, then go for a more form-fitting look. Next, take into account how much room you want in your overalls. If you’re going to be working closely with heavy machinery and tools that swing around, then grab something with more space in the legs and arms. If not, then more fitted styles might work better for you.
Consider Your Body Type
You should consider your body type when choosing your overalls. You want the overalls to be flattering and comfortable, so you’ll want to choose a style that fits your body shape. If you’re short and round, consider purchasing overalls with elastic waistbands or adjustable straps. These will help ensure that the pants are snug enough to stay up without pulling on your stomach, which can be uncomfortable. If you’re tall and thin, look for overalls with wider legs and hips. This will help create an appearance of more fullness in the bottom half of your body, which can help balance out any parts that look too thin.
Accessorizing the Overalls
Tops with Overalls
There are many options and combinations available, but these 3 are among my favorites:
- For a casual daytime look, pair a basic white t-shirt with denim overalls. Add a pair of sneakers and a baseball cap for a laid-back vibe.
- Dress up your overalls for a night out by pairing them with a fitted black turtleneck top. Add a statement necklace and a pair of heels to elevate the look.
- For a business casual look, layer a collared shirt underneath your overalls. Choose a shirt in a complementary color to your overalls, and tuck it in to define the waist. Finish off the look with a pair of loafers or ankle boots.
Shoes with Overalls
While you may think that overalls are too basic and that they go only with sneakers, I can assure you that this is not the only option:
- Elevate a casual daytime look by pairing denim overalls with a pair of ankle boots. Add a floppy hat and cross-body bag for a bohemian-inspired look.
- For a dressier occasion, pair black overalls with a pair of strappy high heels. Add a statement clutch and bold earrings to complete the outfit.
- Create a sporty look by pairing your overalls with a pair of chunky sneakers. Add a cropped hoodie and baseball cap for a trendy street-style look.
Bags with Overalls
Choose the bag to go with your overalls according to the occasion:
- Pair a classic leather crossbody bag with denim overalls for a chic and effortless daytime look. Add a pair of white sneakers and statement sunglasses for a touch of glam.
- For a more polished look, choose a structured handbag in a neutral color to complement black overalls. Add a pair of pointed-toe pumps and delicate jewelry for a sophisticated touch.
- Add a pop of color to your overalls by pairing them with a brightly colored tote bag. Choose a color that contrasts with your overalls to create a playful and eye-catching look. Finish off the outfit with a pair of strappy sandals or espadrilles.
Hats with Overalls
I love nothing more than adding a hat to almost any outfit because I believe that it elevates the outfit and adds that strop of sophistication. You can also achieve this with overalls:
- For a bohemian-inspired look, pair a wide-brimmed floppy hat with denim overalls. Add a crochet top and ankle boots for a festival-ready look.
- For a classic and timeless look, pair a black beret with black overalls. Add a fitted turtleneck and loafers for a chic Parisian-inspired outfit.
- Add a touch of fun to your overalls by pairing them with a colorful baseball cap. Choose a cap in a bold print or vibrant color to make a statement.
Jewelry with Overalls
The options for jewelry are endless, even with overalls:
- Add a touch of bohemian flair to your overalls with layered necklaces. Pair a long beaded necklace with a shorter pendant necklace for a playful and laid-back look.
- For a more polished look, pair your overalls with a statement necklace. Choose a chunky or geometric piece in a metal finish that complements the color of your overalls.
- Keep it simple and understated with a pair of delicate hoop earrings. Choose a pair in a gold or silver finish to add a touch of elegance to your overalls. For a more casual look, add a stack of thin bracelets or bangles on your wrist.
Styling Tips for Overalls
Layering the Overalls
Layering can totally change your look and can be useful during colder seasons too. Here are some of my favorite ways to add some layers to my overalls:
- Layer a fitted turtleneck underneath your overalls for a cozy and polished look. Add a pair of ankle boots and a wool coat for a chic cold-weather outfit.
- Create a bohemian-inspired look by layering a flowy blouse underneath your overalls. Add a fringed cardigan and ankle boots for a free-spirited vibe.
- For a playful and casual look, layer a graphic t-shirt underneath your overalls. Add a denim jacket and sneakers for a trendy street-style outfit.
Mixing and Matching Patterns
This styling tip is perfect if you want a more stylish and fun look:
- For a bold and eye-catching look, mix and match prints by pairing striped overalls with a floral blouse. Keep the prints in a similar color family to create a cohesive outfit.
- Create a playful and whimsical outfit by pairing polka dot overalls with a gingham top. Choose tops in contrasting colors to make a statement.
- Mix and match animal prints by pairing leopard print overalls with a zebra print top. Keep the rest of the outfit simple and understated to let the prints shine. Add a pair of black ankle boots and a leather jacket for a chic and edgy look.
Adding a Denim Jacket
The timeless denim jacket would look amazing with your overalls, helping you create such a fun and laid-back look.
- Pair your overalls with a fitted denim jacket for a classic look. Add a white T-shirt and sneakers for a simple and effortless outfit.
- Add a pop of color to your overalls by pairing them with a brightly colored denim jacket. Choose a color that contrasts with your overalls to create a playful and eye-catching look. Add a pair of ankle boots or sandals to complete the outfit.
- Create a cool and edgy outfit by pairing distressed denim overalls with a black denim jacket. Add a band t-shirt and combat boots for a grunge-inspired look.
Adding a Scarf
A small accessory like a scarf can help you add a bit of classiness to your entire look.
- Tie a silk scarf around your neck for a touch of sophistication. Choose a scarf in a complementary color to your overalls and add a pair of statement earrings to complete the look.
- Wrap a chunky knit scarf around your neck for a casual look. Add a pair of ankle boots and a slouchy beanie for a chic cold-weather outfit.
- For a bohemian-inspired look, tie a colorful patterned scarf around your head and let the ends drape down your back. Add a flowy blouse and sandals for a playful and carefree outfit.
Choosing the Right Undergarments When Wearing Overalls
Choose carefully the undergarment because this can sometimes make a difference between a sloppy look and one that is put together.
- A seamless bralette or bra under your overalls would look so good, especially for a festival outfit. Choose a color that matches your skin tone to avoid any visible lines.
- If you’re wearing fitted overalls, opt for a pair of seamless underwear to avoid any visible panty lines. Choose a nude color to keep the focus on your outfit.
- For a fun and playful outfit, wear a lace bralette or crop top under your overalls. Choose a contrasting color to your overalls to create a bold and eye-catching look.
Occasion-specific Overall Styles
My go-to for a casual event is to pair the overalls with a simple t-shirt or tank top and add a pair of comfortable sneakers. Roll up the cuffs of your overalls for a relaxed and effortless look. Accessorize with a crossbody bag or a backpack for a practical and functional outfit.
If you’re looking for a way to wear overalls that won’t make you look like you’re trying too hard, try pairing them with a collared shirt. This way, your outfit will look more “business-casual” than “slob.” Finish off with a pair of loafers or pumps and a structured tote bag for a chic and polished outfit.
I think that many women run away from overalls when it comes to evening occasions, but I think that a pair of overalls in a luxurious fabric such as velvet or satin would look amazing. You can combine them with a lace or silk blouse and you can add a pair of strappy heels.
One of the best ways to style your overalls for a formal event is by wearing them with a blazer. This will give you the impression that you’re dressed up, but in an outfit that doesn’t look over-the-top. If you don’t have an appropriate blazer and don’t want to buy one, you can also wear a dress shirt and tie.
Overalls for Different Body Types
A good starting point for someone with a petite body is to opt for a fitted and streamlined silhouette that doesn’t overwhelm your frame. Choose a shorter inseam and avoid styles with too many pockets or embellishments that can add bulk. Accessorize with a pair of heels or platform shoes to elongate your legs.
I know it might be hard to find a pair of overalls that would fit your body, but I would recommend experimenting with different silhouettes such as wide-leg or cropped styles. Opt for overalls with multiple pockets or embellishments to add dimension to your outfit. Pair with flats or sneakers for a comfortable yet stylish look.
When choosing overalls for a curvy body type, it’s important to find ones that are comfortable and flattering. Look for overalls with stretchy fabric that will fit your curves comfortably. Choose a darker wash to create a slimming effect. Accessorize with a waist-cinching belt and heels to elongate your legs.
Athletic body types are generally defined by having broad shoulders, a narrow waist and hips, and muscular legs and arms. Opt for fitted styles that accentuate your waistline and show off your toned arms. Choose a softer fabric such as denim or corduroy for a more relaxed yet flattering look.
Final Thoughts When Styling Overalls
As a conclusion, consider these final key points:
- Keep it simple: Overalls can make a statement on their own, so avoid overloading your outfit with too many accessories or layers.
- Experiment with different styles: Overalls come in various styles and fabrics, so don’t be afraid to try something new.
- Mix and match: Overalls can be paired with different types of tops, shoes, and accessories to create a variety of looks.
- Have fun with it: Overalls are a versatile and playful item, so embrace the opportunity to express your personal style and have fun with your outfit.
Final Tips on How to Style Overalls
Overalls are perfect for many occasions, including formal ones, which is why it is crucial to know beforehand the occasion so that you can choose the appropriate pair. As far as accessories go, you can choose from many different types, such as jewelry, scarves, hats, shoes, bags, and so on. Be sure to take all of these into account when creating your outfit and to have fun doing so.
Importance of personal style and how to include overalls in your wardrobe
Personal style is important because it allows you to express your individuality and personality through your clothing choices. It’s a way to communicate who you are without saying a word. Overalls can be a great addition to your wardrobe because they are versatile and can be styled in many ways.